I realize this is the millionth chicken recipe, I really do. I also don’t care. Clearly, chicken isn’t boring. It is versatile. It is delicious. It is cheap. Get onboard this train.
This has some smoky heat to it, so put in WAY less chipotle if you are sensitive to that. This is right at the edge of being too spicy for me, and I LOVE spice. The heat is cut by the sweet, citrusy mango salsa thrown on top. This is all kinds of good – sticky, smoky, and spicy. My friends say this is another “best ever” recipe, which is quickly becoming a litmus test for new dishes.
Extra marinade can be used for grilling the next day or making spicy pulled pork sandwiches.
This is based on another Chrissy Teigen recipe.
Chipotle Marinade (makes 2 ½ cups)
- 1 ¼ (7 ounce) cans chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 ½ cups your favorite barbecue sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup bourbon or whiskey
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled and whole (about 2 heads)
- Juice of 1 ½ limes
- 4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large, firm mango, pitted and diced
- ½ firm avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons diced red onion (or 3 scallions, if you prefer)
- ¼ cup whole cilantro leaves
- Grated zest of ½ lime
- Juice of 1 lime, plus more if needed
- Salt + pepper
- Combine all chipotle marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor until completely smooth
- Season the chicken generously with salt and place in a large zip-lock bag
- Add 2 cups of the chipotle sauce to coat the chicken, reserve the rest in a separate container for later
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with foil
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and transfer to the baking sheet in one layer, not overlapping
- Bake until almost cooked through and the edges are beginning to crisp, 35 minutes
- Remove the chicken from the oven, brush with the reserved ½ cup of chipotle sauce on all sides, and drizzle with the honey
- Return the chicken to the oven and bake until cooked through, 10 minutes
- While the chicken is cooking, toss together the mango salsa ingredients and set aside
- Serve the mango salsa on top of the chicken, along with rice, black beans and lime wedges